Tuesday, May 31, 2011

long trip home...

We arrived home late last night after driving 18+ hours from Indiana. It was an exhausting weekend- we drove all day Friday, visitation at the funeral home & time spent with family on Saturday(and celebrating my niece Elizabeth's 3rd birthday), my Mamaw Goldie's funeral(which was sad and beautiful at the same time) & more quality family time with aunts, uncles, and cousins on Sunday, then we drove home all day & night Monday, and today I went back to work teaching my 20 first graders who are counting down to summer...only 7 days to go!


We came together with my dad's family to remember and celebrate my grandma's beautiful life. It was a time that I will never forget. I was just looking over the slide show(thanks to my cousin Kyle for making me a copy) the funeral home put together and I have enjoyed looking at all the pictures and know that these memories will be with me always. I am beyond blessed to have such an amazing family. Although, the distance between us may be far, we are always so close in our hearts. There is no love like a family's unconditional love. It felt so good to hug my family, cry with them, and just be together.


My dad, Emma, Max, and I traveled together in the same car. Unfortunately, Damian had to stay at home and work. The kids did so well and so did my dad-ha! I wanted to record a few things that happened so I can look back and get a good laugh from time to time.


First of all, Max had the smallest bladder on the way up. As soon as we would take a stretch/bathroom break and get back on the road, he would announce...I have to go potty. This happened several times until we finally realized his seatbelt was a little too tight. (on his bladder) Not to mention the fact that I gave him a full bottle of water when he said he was thirsty. We cut off all liquids after that...just kidding-sort of!


I really don't know how my parents took road trips with 3 kids without portable DVD players. They are seriously worth their weight in gold! Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Anastasia, Toy Story 2, and Kung Fu Panda were just some of the favorites this trip. The kids also enjoyed coloring, reading books, and even took a couple of naps...much like their Papaw and Mommy when we weren't the ones driving.


Luckily no one asked "Are we there yet?" Instead Max kept saying "Where are we?" So I would tell him the name of the state. I said "Now we're in Georgia" and he would say, " I like this Georgia place...it's so green and pretty." Then when we got to Tennessee, he was so excited about the mountains. He said, "Mommy, Tennessee has the best mountains!" He and Emma were very excited when we entered a new state and they did keep asking tons of questions about each state and about our hotel--they love staying in hotels.


One of the funniest things on our road trip was a text from my sister (who was driving behind us) that said "what airline are you with because Dad is really flying." I was laughing so hard...because if you know my dad he drives soooo sllloooowwww. But apparently we were talking so much and just cruising along.


Another funny thing I realized on this trip is that it's not often I am behind the wheel and my dad is in the passenger seat. At times I felt like I was 15 years old and he was teaching me to drive all over again. He would say you might want to get in the right lane or you may want to slow down. Be careful there will be a lot of police officers out this weekend, and so on. It was pretty funny and we got some laughs from him telling me what to do...even though I'm 33 years old and a mom now.


When we left the hotel yesterday morning to begin our trip home. Emma moaned, " I just want my bed!!" so dramatically. That's my girl.


The kids really got along well and were sweet with one another. Let's hope they keep that up when I'm home with them every single day this summer. Especially considering that in four days time, they spent two of those days in a car, 1 day at a funeral home, and 1 day at church for the funeral.


On the way home Max was also much better about having to use the potty(I totally limited his liquids) but unfortunately I needed to stop every couple of hours! My dad may have rolled his eyes at me a few times.


I loved hearing the kids sing Justin Bieber songs, the b-i-b-l-e song, this is the day the Lord has made, and other preschool & kindergarten favorites for my dad, he got a kick out of them and may or may not have been looking for some ear plugs!


I also loved when we were only a couple of hours from home and my dad told the kids they needed to be quiet because Papaw is old. It was so funny! Because really 56 is not that old!


Although our trip was long, I enjoyed every minute of the quality time I had with my dad and my kids. Just like our weekend, I will always have fond memories of our time spent together.



~Sorry for this extremely long post without any pictures, I have some good ones of some of my family together from this weekend(but none from the car trip because my camera was packed in the back) but I am way too exhausted to upload them.~

No comments:

Post a Comment